The Bruins’ Homecoming Game

Nora Tejada

A varsity football player’s red-and-gold helmet glows underneath the stadium lights during the Homecoming game.

Gaia Clark, Staff Writer

LONG BEACH, CA. – Stress and excitement levels were high Friday night as the Lakewood Lancers faced off the Wilson Bruins in a must-win game; a victory for either team that night would mean a chance at the Moore League playoffs.

Bruin fans in the stands were dressed head-to-toe in maroon, as it was their homecoming game, and the colors were in honor of their school and their glowing homecoming court. With a crowning of king and queen at halftime, it was hard to miss the energy in the stands.

This spirit was unfortunately dimmed at the beginning of the first quarter, as sophomore running back Jalen Nelson was tackled and broke his leg. This injury was tragic for the team, leading to a lack of confidence on the field. The players were motivated to play for Nelson, but the disbelief of losing a fellow teammate caused the Bruins to lose 41-0.

“It was a shock,” said senior Andre Bryant. “It was very unexpected, it all happened way too fast.” Bryant was unable to play due to the score, but he and other teammates shared a devastation for losing Nelson in the first quarter.

Losing Nelson was a bummer on the field, but the stands didn’t let the injury get the best of them. The Wilson Bruins’ excitement was unmistakable, with the energy immense as the homecoming court was individually introduced and walked across the track in front of the bleachers. The football team felt the spirit on the field as well.  

“There was cheering for us, we felt the energy.  Just know that every time we’re down there, we feel the energy, and when they have no energy we don’t have it. When they have a lot, we have a lot. That’s when we fire back,” said senior Tervere Jones.

At one point during the second half of the game, though, the liveliness at the sideline fell due to the uneven scoreboard.  Having a player off the field and being shut-out by the other team, the Bruins were unable to score during the game.

Wilson will be playing a non-league game against Saddleback the following Friday at home, while Lakewood hosts Compton for another must-win game.