Girls Golf Goes Undefeated

Wilson+Varsity+Girls+Golf+at+the+Triton+Invitational-credit%3A+%40lbwilsongolf+on+Instagram++

Wilson Varsity Girls Golf at the Triton Invitational-credit: @lbwilsongolf on Instagram

Isabel Juarez, Sports Editor

Wilson High Schools Girls Varsity Golf went undefeated in the Moore League season with a final record of six wins and no losses. This is the Lady Bruins thirteenth consecutive year winning the Moore League title. 

After the cancellation of the previous season due to COVID-19, and the troubling loss of former coach Kurt Holmes, Wilson High School Girls Golf got back on the course in September ready to start where they left off. “We went through a lot this past year and I think we have grown closer because of it,” Senior Emi Sverduk said. 

Throughout the year Varsity Golf blazed through the season and tournaments. Golf started the year with a 212-278 win over Long Beach Poly and finished the year with a 215-260 win over Lakewood. The team took part in, The Triton Invitational hosted by San Clemente High School for the first time since the fall of 2019. As a whole, the team finished with an outstanding score of 427 on the 18 hole course. Sverduk won the medalist honors with a 67, being the first Wilson Bruin to win the tournament. 

The Moore League Finals began at the beginning of this week, Monday round one and Tuesday round two resulted in outstanding success for our lady Bruins. All seven of the girls representing Wilson advanced to the final round on Wednesday that took place at Skylinks Golf Course. The championship concluded with our Bruins claiming six of the eight spots to earn medals and five Bruins qualified for CIF Individual Playoffs. 

Junior Alyson Sor and Sverduk went head to head in a five-hole sudden-death playoff in the individual championship. After severe perseverance from both Bruins, Sor came out as the victor and claimed the 2021 Moore League Girls’ Golf Individual Championship title. Sor won the Moore League Individual the first time her freshman year. 

CIF-SS Individual Regionals began October 25 and CIF-SS Team Division Championships begin November 1. 

Congratulations to girls golf for bringing home the trophy in an always outstanding Moore League season, Sor for winning the Moore League Individual, and the best of luck to everyone in CIF. Go Bruins!