Friday Night Lights for the Seniors

Isabel Juarez, Sports Editor

On Friday, Sept. 17 under the lights, Wilson High School honored its senior football players-as well as the senior athletic trainers, marching band, drumline, bruinettes and cheerleaders- at Wilson’s Moore League opener against Compton. Before the game, the graduating class of 2022 was introduced and walked down the track by family and friends. 

Senior defensive end, Tito Harper was walked down by his grandma and a close friend of his mother. “As I walked down, my mom was going through my head because she just passed on my birthday and I just was thinking, I got to do this for her and I just know I have people watching over me,” said Harper. After an emotional ceremony, Wilson was ready to give it their all for their seniors.

Wilson led off the first quarter with strong momentum when Dominique Carter scored a 53-yard touchdown in hopes of setting up Wilson for victory. Carter said, “I was thinking this was going to get the team hyped and more motivated to win.”

Soon after, Compton scored three times with a leading score of 30-6 by the end of the third quarter. Wilson kept their pace in the fourth quarter, quarterback Alexander Mclaurin threw the ball to Dejon Harold for six yards and a touchdown, making the score 14-30.

By the end of the late fourth quarter, Compton scored their last 16-yard touchdown for a final score of 14-36. 

Senior captain and wide receiver, Josh Scott has been playing football since kindergarten. Scott described the game as disappointing, “We could have played as more of a team instead of as individuals. I think once we start playing together, we will see better results in future games.”

Despite the devastating loss, Wilson was still able to commemorate the graduating class of 2022 that continues working hard to represent their school.