Coach’s Corner – George Molina

Wilsons+varsity+girls+softball+team+2020.+

Wilson’s varsity girls softball team 2020.

Isabel Juarez, Staff Writer

Girls Varsity Softball oozes enthusiasm and it all originates from their dedicated leader, Coach George Molina. Raised in Lakewood California, Coach Molina has dedicated over 20 years to guiding youth both on and off the field. 

As a child Coach Molina played baseball, football, and basketball in Lakewood recreational leagues. Growing up, he did not have a dream job but he does admit being a Major League Baseball player would have been nice. He began coaching recreational baseball in 1998 and softball in 2004. “I like coaching because I enjoy watching and helping the kids improve especially at the recreational level.” said Coach Molina through email. 

He began his career at Wilson around 2009 as assistant softball coach and eventually found himself in the head coach position. When asked what his favorite career accomplishment was he stated, “I was proud for our team to win Moore League my first year as a head coach and make it to semi-finals the next year…real proud of the girls.”

Coach Molina was referring to the big win his team took in Spring 2018, when Varsity won their first Moore League title since 2012. After an undoubtedly impressive season, he was named Press Telegram’s 2018 Softball Coach of the Year. The following year, Varsity softball fought their way through CIF and ultimately made their appearance in the semi-finals again.

The dedication that Coach Molina has for his team and the sport, is inspiring. “From the moment I stepped onto the field my freshman year (Coach) George was always my #1 fan,” said alumni Zoe Stavrou, who was part of Wilson’s Varsity Softball program from 2011-2015.  Now Zoe is referred to as “Coach Zoe” as she assists alongside Coach Molina for her second year. “He’s one of the most dedicated coaches I’ve ever met and gives the team everything he has every day. He is a big reason why I decided to coach high school softball-there is no one I would rather coach under during my first couple of years coaching.” said Coach Zoe.

With sport teams slowly resuming their practices and athletes gearing up for a return to school, Coach Molina is optimistic. “(Now that sports are starting up again) I am excited for this group of girls to compete. It’s been a tough year for all of us and hopefully we can come together and play some great softball.” said Coach Molina 

Coach Molina’s dedication to Wilson’s softball program is respected by parents and players. He is held in high regard for his commitment to the sport and his team.  He is one of the most enthusiastic coaches at Wilson and we are honored to have him as a Bruin.