Cards for a Cause

Letter drop off from @lbwilsonmusic on Instagram

Isabel Juarez, Staff Writer

For the past two years Wilson Orchestra has been visiting the Pacific Palms Nursing Home to perform holiday music as part of giving back to the residents during the winter season. With the COVID-19 virus continuing to spread and cancel many plans, the orchestra could not treat them to music but made sure they were not forgotten. The new tradition consisted of sending holiday cards and letters to all 78 residents. 

“At minimum we wanted each person to get one card, but it was wonderful if they got many cards and letters from people in our community,” said Mrs. Ellis, the Orchestra 5-6 teacher and conductor.

Two clubs worked on the project: the Wilson Musicians Guild and the Wilson Community Outreach Club. Bruins who participated in spreading joy earned service hours or Gold W points-three community service hours or 25 Gold W’s for writing five holiday cards or one and a half community service hours or 15 Gold W’s for writing three holiday cards.

“We encouraged people not just to merely sign their name to a card, but to write a personal note inside letting the resident know a little about the stranger who was sending them holiday cheer,” said Mrs. Ellis. 

Students were encouraged to make more than one holiday card and mailed them directly to the Pacific Palms Nursing Home on Termino Ave here Long Beach.  

With 2020 being undoubtedly a tough year, Bruins were still able to spread holiday cheer! Way to go Bruins!