The New All Gender Bathroom

Gaia Clark, Staff Writer

LONG BEACH, CA-  With the voice advocating for gender equality being louder than ever, a call for action in the school department led to the opening of the first gender neutral bathroom at Wilson High School on December 19th, 2022.

Having a new all-gender bathroom on campus has had both positive and negative repercussions on both students and faculty.  A need for overseeing the restroom due to its popularity and spaciousness has stretched staff members’ lunch schedules, and for students there has been an uncertainty on whether the bathroom will even be able to stay open.

The students had an understandable worry, though, because hours following the opening of the gender neutral bathroom, it was closed and deemed “out of order”.  Soon after, a brief statement made by Principal Caverly explained that, “Vandalism was not involved.  Fortunately, it was just a slight sewage leak and the bathroom will be open very soon.”  Sure enough, a few days later the restroom was available to students again.

This opening followed a brief fuel-induced fire in a boys bathroom, as well as a continuous problem of vaping and smoking in both girls and boys restrooms, leading faculty members to be cautious with this asset.

Faculty member Princesa Juarez expressed her concerns on the bathroom; she explained that she is uneasy about how large each stall is and having the space taken advantage of.  While the restroom is constantly monitored by a staff member, Juarez is still unsure whether it will be kept clean throughout the school year.

“I think it’s good,” said junior Desirae Bun in the Visual Arts Pathway.  “It’s a safe place for everyone.”

Bun, as well as many others on campus, are excited for the inclusivity that this new bathroom brings, especially considering the growth of the LGBTQ population and awareness at Wilson. 

Students will be happy to have the restroom back open throughout the last week of school, as well as the rest of the school year following the return of students on campus in the new year.