A Farewell from the Editor

Samantha Brandts, Editor-in-Chief

For three years, journalism class was an escape. When I didn’t want to do my World History homework, I wrote a news article about a politically aggravated annoyance. When my (single) friend was busy during lunch, I trotted over to journalism in room 352 to shoot a few rounds of Fireboy and Watergirl on Coolmathgames.com. 

Journalism allows societies to record ideas that grant documentation for the future, and the Wilson Loudspeaker holds true to this standard, recording everything from new COVID procedures to April Fools satire stories, joined by features on TikTok and questioning the current political stance of Wilson. With internet access readily available in the back pockets of every highschooler, journalism is more important now than ever. Staying on the right side of history in the 21st century is enabled by a drive to never stop challenging and proving yourself wrong, and it all starts with a simple news article. 

As a reserved freshman walking into the gates of Wilson High School with only three friends, I had no idea that four years later, after weeks of procrastinating setting up interviews, being too insecure to announce my article ideas, and being embarrassed when my dad would post my writings on his instagram, I would be graduating high school in my room– Peach Bellini Bath and Body Works candle lit and an empty overpriced energy drink in on my desk. With the support of those around me and unhealthy ambition, I was capable of becoming Editor-in-Chief my senior year, mobilizing my older sister bossiness into editor-like bossiness for the classroom. 

Thank you to Mrs. Combs for recruiting me to the Loudspeaker my sophomore year and having faith in my writing capabilities derived from my freshman year essays of MyPerspectives textbook prompts. And with this, the greatest thanks goes to Mrs. Smeltzer for allowing me to take charge during a year of complete unpredictability. My time at Wilson High School might have been less than extraordinary, but it was with the small efforts of wonderful teachers and friends that made it all the more bearable. When looking back on my time at Wilson, I will be forever grateful to this journalism class, the Oxford comma, and Abraham Lincoln for saying, “wind in my hair, salt in the air. Cali Life!”

Peace and love beaches 😀