The Ultimate Lovey-Dovey Experience

Joelle Brandts, 9, holding a heart for February 14.

Samantha Brandts, Editor-in-Chief

In a year of utter mayhem, disappointments, and dare I say, unprecedented times, February 14 may be the only chance we get to celebrate what all humans strive to achieve: the ultimate lovey-dovey experience. 

With the blessing of an optimistic new year and a glorious amount of time to spend with loved ones, COVID-19 may present a better fortune for Valentine’s Day than ever before. Instead of dedicating one full day to that special person, Zoom calls enable you to contact that grandparent you’ve been ignoring, give a few nice notes to friends you haven’t spoken to in a while, and send a little love out to those struggling on this day of embrace. 

With several opportunities to appreciate loved ones this year, the Wilson Loudspeaker has curated a plethora of date ideas for significant others (or friend dates!), desserts to curb your loneliness, and playlist options for the two primary moods expressed on this sacred holiday: utter disdain and utmost delight. 

Date Ideas

For Valentine’s Day dates, the thought behind an activity makes all the difference. Whether your significant other enjoys picnics in the park with good food, drives around town in hoodies and sweats, biking through downtown Long Beach, or simply sitting at home with a large jug of dairy-free ice cream, acts of service and and quality time are the key to expressing your love language, according to a report by HuffPost. Laying down a blanket on the sand to spend time at the beach with a perfectly crafted charcuterie board would make anyone’s day, followed by a drive-in movie to get a good bang for your buck. Watching the sunset at Signal Hill or Huntington Beach and gathering crafts at Michaels to paint matching bird houses also makes for a happy couple. 

For socially-distanced V-day options, getting two blankets and setting up camp at El Dorado Park would create a safe bonding experience. Similarly, watching 50 First Dates, Crazy Rich Asians, A Cinderella Story, The Last Song, 10 Things I Hate About You, and of course, The Notebook, make for a fine Zoom date. Whatever it is that you decide to do, do it with care and ensure a smile is on the other person’s face by the end of the day. 

Desserts

V-day desserts do not have to be entirely extravagant. In fact, most of the time, anything heart-shaped or doused in red dye will suffice. This includes brownies, embellished with a special pack of red and pink M&M’s from your local grocery store to keep the festivity of the day alive. My personal favorite are red velvet sugar cookies, which are really just chocolate cookies with red food dye (but that topic is a bit controversial so we’ll leave it at that). 

And of course, no Valentine’s Day dessert list could be complete without chocolate covered strawberries— the greatest staple to a grandiose day date since Troy and Gabriella first discovered the dessert in the cinematic masterpiece of 2008, the magnificent film that is High School Musical 3: Senior Year. Rice krispie treats are another easy, simple, yet fulfilling treat (with delicious empty calories) that anyone with a sweet tooth would be more than happy to devour. 

Baking desserts on this love-filled day is a great way to spend some time with your special someone, or fill your stomach with delicious treats to satisfy your empty heart. However, if you don’t have an eye for baking, Krispy Kreme Valentine’s Day doughnuts are hot and ready for online and drive-thru sales. 

Playlists

This Valentine’s Day, there will not be any “bow-chicka-wow-wow” music suggestions, but more PG-13, LBUSD-friendly picks for your February 14 listening pleasure. 

For our lovebirds on this special day, “Marry You” by Bruno Mars is a given, along with a number of Taylor Swift songs- -the pop songs that keep the world on its axis. “Still Into You” by Paramore encompases all the delightful aspects of partnering with someone long term, and “Red Roses” by AJ Rafael comprises all of the regret that comes with not asking to be your Valentine when you get the chance. Click for the Spotify playlist here and the Apple Music playlist here

However, if you find yourself to be entirely bitter this February, which I personally could never fathom, Taylor Swift again comes prepared with the perfect breakup songs that embrace all of the aspects of a good heartbreak. “Crush Culture” by Conan Gray makes a lonely Valentine’s Day not so lonely, and it is law that everyone should scream “Someone Like You” by Adele on the 14, single or not. Click for the Spotify playlist here and the Apple Music playlist here

On Valentine’s Day 2021, finding new and creative ways to showcase your love for someone may be challenging. However, with only a few hours of movie binging, several sheets of baked cookies, and a speaker at the highest volume, a quarantined 14 may not be so bad after all.