Long Beach, CA- Here at Wilson there are many new teachers joining for the first time from all over for the 23-24 school year. As they navigated through the school, they shared their experience with us and how they felt throughout the school year.
Our school benefits greatly from the varied backgrounds and perspectives these educators bring. With Long Beach’s rich cultural mix, Wilson continues to be a place where all students feel included and valued, fostering an environment of respect and understanding for different cultures and backgrounds. Biology and Chemistry teacher in the Performing Arts Pathway, Michael Ho, stated, “Coming from different schools, specifically Fullerton and Paramount, we didn’t shine much on culture and it’s great to celebrate that”.
New teachers get to experience the celebration of cultural heritage as well as students, through a variety of events and activities such as guest speakers, performers showcasing different cultures, spirit weeks, and movie nights featuring diverse films. These events not only promote cultural awareness but also foster a sense of unity among our student body and staff.
These Pathways give students a chance to be involved in a certain category to get to learn more about it by getting enrolled in classes that will be effective for their future career. English teacher in the Technology pathway, Jennifer Guardado, said, “I learned about Pathways which I wasn’t used to and I think it’s cool that kids can have industry connections”. Ms.Guardado found it fascinating to learn how pathways allow students to explore specific career interests while still in high school and develop industry connections along the way.
With a diverse student body and myriad of opportunities available, each individual has the chance to tailor their education to their own interest and aspiration. Whether through involvement in clubs, sports, or academic pursuits, students are encouraged to make most of their time at Wilson and create a meanful legacy.
“It depends on what class you’re in and the environment of it but I think it is what you make of it”, Fia Ili said, a teacher in the Technology pathway and Special-Ed department.
The new teachers at Wilson have already made a profound impact on our community, bringing an abundance of passion, dedication and love to their roles. Their commitment to student success and well-being has touched the lives of many, inspiring and empowering students to reach new heights and pursue their dreams. Furthermore their being here has strengthened the bond among teachers, forming new connections that boost teamwork and cooperation at our school.
As we continue to embrace diversity, celebrate heritage and provide pathways to success, we are grateful for the invaluable contributions of these teachers, whose positive influence resonates for beyond the classroom walls, shaping the future of Wilson High School for years to come.